Coconut oil might just be the most versatile health food on the planet. Not only is it one or our favorite cooking oils, but coconut oil uses are numerous and can extend to being a form of natural medicine, be used for natural beauty treatments and so much more.
The coconut tree is considered the “tree of life” in much of Southeast Asia, India, the Philippines, and other tropical locations. And today, there are over 1,500 studies proving the health benefits of coconut oil.
Some of the top coconut oil benefits include:
- Balances Hormones
- Kills Candida
- Improves Digestion
- Moisturizes Skin
- Reduces Cellulite
- Decreases Wrinkles and Age Spots
- Balances Blood Sugar and Improve Energy
- Improves Alzheimer’s
- Increases HDL and Lower LDL Cholesterol
- Burns Fat
If you’re ready to take your health to the next level, try these 5 coconut oil uses and cures!
- Cooking at High Heat (Sauteing and Frying)
Coconut oil is great for cooking at a high heat because of its high smoke point. Many other oils like olive oil can oxidize when heated but because coconut oil is made up of healthy saturated fats it remains stable under high temperatures.
- Buttering Your Toast
For breakfast in the morning, try spreading coconut oil on your sprouted grain bread, instead of conventional butter. The slight coconut flavor, more pronounced in the unrefined coconut oils, lends a lovely aroma and taste to your toast.
- Natural Energy Booster
The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil, when partnered with chia seeds, will give you an energy boost when you need a mid-afternoon pickup, or after a strenuous workout. Chia seeds are known to boost performance, and endurance while the coconut oil aids in digestion and metabolizing of the chia seeds. Mix 1 tablespoon coconut oil with ½ tablespoon of chia seeds, and enjoy from the spoon, or spread on sprouted grain bread.
- Boost Nutrients in Smoothies
Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to any fruit smoothie for a boost of cholesterol fighting compounds. Side benefit? It improves the texture and mouth feel of smoothies, while adding healthy fats to your diet.
- Fight Inflammation – Coconut oil supports both a healthy liver, and kidneys. According to researchers, virgin coconut oil, prepared without chemical or high-heat treatment exhibits an inhibitory effect on chronic inflammation. As inflammation is one of the leading causes of many chronic diseases, this study supports regular consumption of virgin coconut oil to help fight inflammation. One tablespoon of coconut oil taken daily provides a real benefit of reducing inflammation.
Bonus! Create Healthy Homemade Mayonnaise – Use as oil in homemade mayonnaise recipe mixed with egg yolks. In a blender, combine 4 egg yolks, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, and ½ teaspoon dried mustard. Blend until combined. With blender still running, slowly add 1 cup coconut oil (melted), and ½ cup olive oil to create an emulsion. If you add the oils too fast, the mayo will break. If this happens, all is not lost; add ½ tablespoon of tahini, and blend until smooth.